Thought for the day: "Solutions are not the answer" - Richard Nixon

Sunday, November 07, 2004

 

The Week

Well it has indeed been a bit of a week: civilisation is going to hell in a handcart (again), lazyliberal the slightly elder submitted his PhD (huzzah), and various friends seemed to take various steps towards sorting out their entangled or unexistent love lives (hallelujah!). At the same time I taught my first class and yet strangely lived to tell the tale, not to mention dealing with other matters that I shall not mention here in order, as it my wont, to attempt to portray myself as having a vague air of mystery...

None of that is the subject of this evening's symposium however, not least because this evening's symposium has no subject aside from 'things to do when it's 2am and you aren't quite up for sleeping’. It has to be said that of the many thoughts I have had in my life, those that have taken place at 2am have historically been the worst. It was at this kind of time that at various junctures I decided to try vegetarianism, embrace God, develop a backbone, and take up exercise. Happily under the cold light of day most such silly tendencies melted, although I did once stretch so far on one of then as to deny myself Cornish pasties for a month (handy hint: this wasn't due to embracing one of the more obscure sects of fundamentalist Christianity). Anyhow you can't be too careful, hence this effort to type for many minutes without actually engaging my brain. Pretty successful so far methinks.

But I suppose I shouldn't head orf to bed without at least a token stab at something substantive. Second thoughts screw that; let's just do a quick search of Yahoo news and find the silliest story possible for me to make some cheap gags about. Chinese officials are apparently working to improve the state of the cities public conveniences before the 2008 Olympics by hosting the fourth world toilet summit, with workshops on such topics as "Toilet Management and Hygiene", "Energy-Saving Measures" and, my personal favourite, "The Humanised Toilet". The delegates, from more than 15 countries, will also have a chance to do a little field research, with a full afternoon's tour of the city's toilets and related facilities. Well there really isn't much I can add to that is there?


Quizilla


you are tiberius
Tiberius was the second emperor of Rome. His
mother wanted it more than he was. He had to
leave his wife to marry Julia, the daughter of
Augustus. He never really cared much for
politics. Later on in life, he moved to the
island of Capri, turning it into an island of
depravity and sex.

What Julio-Claudian Roman Emperor are you?
brought to you by Quizilla

My inner child is ten years old today

My inner child is ten years old!

The adult world is pretty irrelevant to me. Whether
I'm off on my bicycle (or pony) exploring, lost
in a good book, or giggling with my best
friend, I live in a world apart, one full of
adventure and wonder and other stuff adults
don't understand.

How Old is Your Inner Child?
brought to you by Quizilla

Disclaimers

No animals were harmed during the making of this blog. Apart from any cats kicked by the author whilst frustrated at his inability to work out this bloody hmtl gunk.

With the exception of the author, this blog does not contain any nuts.

As a firm believer in the right to freedom of speech and freedom of expression, the author would like it to be known that if anything whatsoever in this blog happens to offend somebody, he is happy not only to retract it but also to deny ever having written it.

This blog can help weight loss only as part of a calorie controlled diet.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?