Thought for the day: "Solutions are not the answer" - Richard Nixon

Sunday, October 17, 2004

 

Since last we spake...

Haven't written for a while for the extremely insufficient reason that I've been vaguely busy: school, university, lib demmery, finger slicery etc. etc. Of course because I've been up to so much since last I wrote I don't have enough time to cover it all, so a short summary:

1) Am on my first school placement, going pretty well, apart from my general dopiness-induced tendency to forget stuff. Pupils seem pretty good, and keen to assist me in my chosen field with helpful tips ("If you want to be a teacher Sir, be nice and be funny"). Also had a really good morning in another school with some fellow student teachers - we were teaching sixth formers about the House of Commons and had a full panto style theatre thing going (shame! resign! hear hear! etc.): when asked what they had learned that morning the consensus was 'politics isn't boring'. I didn't have the heart to tell them :-)

2) Been elected co-chair of the student staff committee for my course through the usual democratic processes (two of us said we wouldn't mind doing it, we went through a very British 'after you, no after you, no I insist' routine, and then we agreed to share it). Am also on the course steering committee: the things I find to do in my copious spare time...

3) Went to a meeting of the Bristol University Japan Society and had an even more freaky encounter than usual with the phenomenon of small worlds: the two Japanese I talked too were a) a girl who once shared a house with my Logic tutor at Oxford b) a girl whose mother was from the town I lived in Japan (that's a town of 9,000 in a country of 130 million)

4) Waded through the websites of various education establishments attempting to uncover when they elect their NUS delegates (and most of them do seem unduly anxious to keep it a secret)

5) Had my finger unstitched, and now have a fine scar to remind me not to slice myself with bottle openers

6) Went home for the weekend and returned with clean shirts and polished shoes (I'm not that lazy or dependent you understand, my Mum's maternal instincts just have a life of their own when it comes to scuffed shoes and dirty shirts)

One or two other bit and pieces, which I shall sit on for now, but will release when to do so will no longer be tempting fate...


Quizilla


you are tiberius
Tiberius was the second emperor of Rome. His
mother wanted it more than he was. He had to
leave his wife to marry Julia, the daughter of
Augustus. He never really cared much for
politics. Later on in life, he moved to the
island of Capri, turning it into an island of
depravity and sex.

What Julio-Claudian Roman Emperor are you?
brought to you by Quizilla

My inner child is ten years old today

My inner child is ten years old!

The adult world is pretty irrelevant to me. Whether
I'm off on my bicycle (or pony) exploring, lost
in a good book, or giggling with my best
friend, I live in a world apart, one full of
adventure and wonder and other stuff adults
don't understand.

How Old is Your Inner Child?
brought to you by Quizilla

Disclaimers

No animals were harmed during the making of this blog. Apart from any cats kicked by the author whilst frustrated at his inability to work out this bloody hmtl gunk.

With the exception of the author, this blog does not contain any nuts.

As a firm believer in the right to freedom of speech and freedom of expression, the author would like it to be known that if anything whatsoever in this blog happens to offend somebody, he is happy not only to retract it but also to deny ever having written it.

This blog can help weight loss only as part of a calorie controlled diet.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?